Saturday, February 2, 2008

You can't believe everything that you hear...but you can believe some things.



Friday night Kirk and I went to Shamrock's on West 7th in St. Paul. Because the place was so packed (and because we like to hang out where the action is) we ended up eating our Jucy Nookies (close cousin of the Jucy Lucy) at the bar. While sitting at the bar I made "friends" with a couple who had been there for 4 hours celebrating happy hour.

During the course of my conversation with this Irish Catholic and his Irish-by-marriage wife he told me all about how St. Patty's day had been moved to March 15th this year due to a conflict with Holy Week. I never doubted him for a second...until my running friends guffawed at my naivety during our Saturday morning run.

I promised to get to the bottom of this "rumor" and to blog about the truth, whatever it may be. As it turns out, the Pope and his bishops really did decide to move St. Patty's day. Go figure...

4 comments:

Kirk said...

Further to this, even St. Paul is getting into the St Patty's day on the 15th theme...

http://www.stpatsassoc.org/02_Parade/for_immediate_release2008.htm

Ed Kohler said...

Drunk Irishmen never lie.

I'm 1/2 Irish.

carly said...

Thanks for the investigative blogging on this issue.

Since this is the first time since 1940 this has happened and the next conflict with Holy Week isn't until 2160, this is a once in a lifetime experience. It sounds like good cause for extra celebration this year!

Buy Domain said...

I agree with you. I can believe everything which I investigate.