Tuesday, February 6, 2007

February 30 Day Challenge

Motivated by Ed and Carly's list of 30 day challenges Kirk and I decided to take on our own series of challenges. For February we've given up deep fried food. On February 2nd we both accidentally ate donuts. It doesn't sound believable, but I forgot about the challenge AND about the fact that donuts are fried. They come from a bakery...it seems like they should be BAKED.

I do like most forms of fried food. Potato chips, french fries, chicken wings, nachos. Yum. One form of fried food I'm not missing...Fritos Varitos. Kirk and I went to Spain a few years ago. We stopped for appetizers at a bar and ordered "Fritos Varitos", guessing the translation was "various fried things". I was seriously disappointed when a plate of deep fried sardines showed up.

3 comments:

Ed Kohler said...

I suppose you could melt cheese on top of baked tortilla chips in a pinch for nachos.

Anne said...

This might be considered cheating by some people, but we agreed to a vacation exemption from the challenge. While we're in Florida this weekend we are allowed all the fried food we want. Tonight I'm going to hit the town and get some chicken wings. Thanks for the tip on the baked nachos...the new baked tortilla scoops are really good!

carly said...

I like it! No fried food is a great 30-day challenge. I guess that means juicy lucy's are out of your diet until March!

I laughed at your doughnut incident. I had something similar happen when I did my no-chocolate pre-2007 challenge warm-up in December. I ate chocolate twice during the 30-day challenge and didn't realize I was eating chocolate either time. A doughnut I could see how you might forget that it's fried; chocolate seems like it should be totally obvious. Oops.