Friday, December 12, 2008

Culinary Adventures

In October, while visiting my Cousin Kathy in California and enjoying some great food, I developed a list of foods I wanted to try to prepare...my culinary goals.

The list includes gnocchi, ravioli (which begins with making my own pasta) and tamales.

Shortly after I got home I tried gnocchi, with mixed success (half of them were great, the other half were mushy). So I can't cross it off my list.

I haven't had a chance to try ravioli since my incident a few years ago, when all the fillings popped out of the pasta.

I do, however, have an ace in my pocket when it comes to tamales. My sister in law, Alma, has lots of experience making tamales with her mom. She and my brother, Ted, came over on Thanksgiving weekend and helped me accomplish a fantastic batch of tamales.

Before they came over I made the fillings, including a shredded pork in pepper sauce and leftover thanksgiving turkey in mole sauce.

When Ted and Alma arrived Ted mixed up the masa and Alma helped us prep the corn husks. After a couple of hours, we were finally ready for the production line. Alma gave us some lessons on preparation and we were fell into full production.














The finished product was wonderful. Not totally authentic, but as close as this mostly-Norwegian ever thought she would come.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the tamale book is closed, but the first chapter "How we get started" is definitely underway.

1 comment:

Wally W said...

So, which meat did you like the best? They looked yummy.