Monday, January 29, 2007

How one thing leads to another



Last Saturday night Kirk and I went out to a little place in St. Paul called "The Nook" with our friends Mike and Emily. I've been wanting to go to the Nook ever since I heard someone brag up their Juicy Lucy. While my quest isn't as formalized as Ed's, I still make a point of searching out a good Juicy.

I knew I liked The Nook as soon as I caught sight of the taps...they had Hamm's Beer on tap! While Hamm's has been a St. Paul tradition forever, it isn't often you see it on tap these days. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it on tap before...I just remember happy times from childhood singing "From the land of sky blue water..."

I was told that Hamm's on tap is a blog-worthy topic, so I started to do a little research. I came across a website written by a group called The Action Squad who finds old buildings to explore. As it turns out they explored the old Hamm's brewery in St. Paul. What a cool hobby...breaking into old buildings just to get a look around. I'm not brave enough to crawl through an asbestos tunnel in search of dead raccoons and old brew kettles, so for now I'll just have to live vicariously through the Action Squad! This website has tons of photos from their journeys. Go ahead...have a look around.

2 comments:

Ed Kohler said...

mmm, I love The Nook. Did you get the Lucy?

Anne said...

Well, I ORDERED the Lucy but due to some mix up I got Kirk's Paul Molitor burger...similar to the Lucy, but with pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar (or is it always American?). I prefer the orange cheese, especially if I'm trying to do an apples to apples comparison between Matt's (the crem-de-la-crem of Lucys) and any other Lucy. I guess it just means I have to go back and get the right burger next time. Shoot.