Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What Once Was Lost Now Is Found

About a year ago I lost my car key. This really bothered me because I never used to lose anything. Not only did I never lose anything, I was the person who always knew where things were hiding.

"Anne, where's the checkbook?" Kirk would ask. "Um, it's under the sink behind the shampoo." Losing something as important as a car key sort of shook my confidence. I guess I have a thin skin.

Yesterday I was violently searching for something in the bathroom drawer. I got so into the search that I pulled the drawer out of the cabinet and set it on the floor so I could get a better look. I finally gave up on what I was looking for and started to reassemble the drawer. During the search I noticed how many Altoids boxes, both full and empty, I have in my drawer. I think the obsession goes back to my childhood...my grandpa used to give me boxes of Altoids as presents. I used to use them to store nearly everything. One time Grandpa sent my brother a rattle snake tail in an Altoid box. I think I looked at that rattle snake tail about 1000 times when I was a kid.

Anyhow, one of the mint free Altoids boxes fell out of the drawer. On a fluke I decided to open the box...guess what was inside...that's right...my car key. Why would I put my car key in an Altoids box in the bathroom drawer? Clearly it was an anti-theft act. I always hide my car keys when we leave town, just in case someone were to break in and decide to steal a car. I never thought I would do such a good job that even I wouldn't be able to find the key.

What other uses are there for Altoids boxes? At one point I thought about making the "Minty MP3" but my soldering skills aren't up to snuff.

1 comment:

Rocco said...

So do you know where my check card is? Or Emily's YWCA card? Thanks in advance for your help.